t the height of the European migrant influx to Australia in 1953, Gerhard Torner, Guenter Schlede and Stefan Krix founded a soccer club for the German community in Melbourne.
Named Maribyrnong SC after the suburb in which their migrant hostel was located, the club finished second in the Victorian Division Four in 1954. The following year the club became affiliated with the Melbourne German Club (Duetscher Verein Melbourne), Club Tivoli, and relocated. It adopted the name by which it is known to this day, Alemannia Richmond Soccer Club.
Under President Adam Pfeiffer, the club took sixth place in Division Three in 1955. The following season saw the team claim second spot in the League, gaining promotion to Division Two. After finishing in fourth place in 1957, Alemannia was placed in the new Division One South following a league re-structure. Fritz Schwab succeeded Harold Schwelm and Frank Manier as Secretary. He lured several players from his former club, St Albans, to Richmond. They included Guenter Gerick, Erich Bartkowiak, Kurt Goetlicher, Matze Landherr, Branko Miller, Klauss Krummow and the Bormann brothers, Werner, Bodo and Guenter.
Alemannia finished in third place in their initial season of Division One football. The club’s players captured local World Cup representing Germany. At the time Richmond’s team was the pre-eminent German side in Australia, defeating both Concordia Sydney and Victoria Adelaide.
With only the Champions of the two Division One leagues (North and South) gaining promotion to the State League, Richmond narrowly missed out on promotion when runner’s-up in the league in 1959. Werner Klein, Heinz Duecker and Franz Marth joined the club.